Monday, August 31, 2015

I would like to go to Borneo in the next year

I'm tired of waiting. I also want to go to Hong Kong. I understand that I'll probably need additional vaccinations to go to Borneo. Has anyone ever been there? Did you contract malaria? I know the rate of transmission there is even higher than other malarial nations. Is it worthwhile to go? Isn't it awful how the malarial mosquitoes only bite at night and the dengue fever carrying ones only bite during the day? One of those "you can't win" scenarios. Malaria is pretty bad but dengue fever is probably worse. They call it "break-bone" fever because the pain is so intense it feels like your bones are breaking.I always cover my skin in DEET and wear long sleeves and pants and have been lucky so far. Last trip, I was one of the only travelers in our area who didn't contract malaria. "Just don't get bitten," is what the travel docs always say to me. I heed their warnings and try my best. I want to see the orangutans and other rare wildlife (tiny deer, owls, rhinos) and snorkel some of the reefs on the nearby islands.

Anyone out there who would like to go and could take off two to three weeks and pay for their share? I'd love to find a decent traveling companion/friend in general. Single supplements are incredibly discouraging. I've traveled pretty expansively in the past and I miss it very much. I've gone on a few short adventures alone and solo travel isn't really my thing.

If Borneo is too far for you, I'm also interested in taking a tour to Calgary to see Jasper, Banff, and Lake Louise.

I wish to become a more active member of the travel community and I'd like to meet others who share my a passion for travel. Honestly, I'm hoping to start a productive conversation and, perhaps if the response is right, it will eventually lead to introductions and, eventually, actual travel plans. I have other destinations on the list too. Let's start with these locations and see where it goes.

I wouldn't say that I'm desperate but I am frustrated with the travel groups and people I've invited thus far. For many years, I traveled the world with a great person but we're no longer together. You're right that I don't know the people on these forums. I suppose that I don't know whether or not they're decent, but over time I can figure that out.

Most of my friends have moved away and are married, not interested, or travel is just not a main priority anymore. I know the economy has hit people hard and that's prevented most of my friends/acquaintances from being able to afford such a trip. My family members are busy with small children or caring for ailing parents. So, I'm looking for new friends who can pay their own way.

I've taken a pathetic RTW travel class from a local continuing education program. I was not at all impressed and am convinced that I could have taught the course better myself. The instructor wasn't able to answer half of my questions. There were three other people in the class but they were traveling together and weren't looking to expand their circle- so that was a bust.

I've searched through Meetups but have not had much luck. Anyone in the Boston area know of any decent Boston/ Cambridge travel organizations that aren't trying to sell a ridiculous, overpriced tour? I'm still searching.

I will pay for my share of a reasonably priced trip. If I could comfortable afford to pay for two people, I wouldn't need to search for a companion. I could probably drag along one of my friends with the promise of an all-expenses paid vacation. [They don't seem too intrigued by the mention of Borneo. Maybe, it's a little too exotic for them. Maybe, they fear a bad case of malaria, or the vaccinations required to visit. Maybe that scares them away.]

But, I have a healthy sense of adventure and am seeking new friends with the same. It's no fun dragging people where they don't want to go.

I was hoping that there was another way to find a travel buddy- almost like a dating site (without actually dating) for travel companions or something like that. Like a Match.com for travelers. It's too bad such a thing doesn't exist. Or does it? Does anyone know of a site or an app that does this? Thanks again. Like I said before, any useful advice is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment