Thursday, August 27, 2015

How to treat my long fizzy hair

I have extremely curly, thick hair that's currently sort-of rock star length, not LONG, but like, say, Bob Dylan circa 1975. I've had lots of hairstyles and colors through the years - buzz cut, rockabilly pompadour, Brazilian hair straightening, but currently my natural dirty blond, and curly.

It's summer and I'm doing a lot of bike-riding and outdoor stuff. When I go out for the evening or I am playing a show I can put product in my hair so the curls look fat, full, defined and everything they should be.Photos and video turn out good, happy with it.

When I'm out during the day and the wind and humidity hits my hair, though, it's total Kramer - I mean I look like a crazy person. I don't care too much, but I'm wondering if there is a way to preserve the quality look throughout wind, lite rain and such. Currently I wear a bandana and just be done with it, but I hate the thing, it's summer and it's like wearing a hat. I bake to 400 degrees, man. And then you take it off and your hair is all smashed and whatnot and you have to either wash it or fix it.

The best was the Brazilian treatment I got in April - it worked for 2 months in any weather - but it's an arm and a leg price-wise and I'm digging the current curls and so does my girlfriend. She has the straightest straight hair on the planet and so can't really advise me on my mess up top.

Nexxus Heat Protexx is made to be sprayed on damp hair before blow drying, but also works well on dry hair to act as a weather shield. A little bit goes a long way. It keeps your hair from frizzing up and tangling. Now if you use any sort of high quality hair conditioner (after shampoo rinse) it can also be used as a leave-in conditioner with similar results. You dilute it about 1 to 8 ratio in a spray bottle, not to be used on scalp or roots, just grown out parts and ends. Again, a little goes a long way.

Another secret is that in a pinch you can use hand lotion to smooth down frizzed out hair. Put a dime size in your palm, rub palms together and lightly run down your hair, only on the surface. Great on windy days when hair tends to get all staticky.

No comments:

Post a Comment